Voted "2012 Reader's Choice" for best spot for a pre-prom dinner by Patch readers!
Wells Bros. Pizza has been a fixture in the greater Racine community since James and Dominic Wells opened the restaurant in 1921. The business has thrived despite some ups and downs - like the two fires in 1967 that gutted the inside - and continues to attract packed houses almost every day of the week. Cousins Bill Wells and Paula Wells Huck are third generation - they call themselves partners in crime - chief cooks, dishwashers and bottle washers.
But Wells Bros.' reach extends well beyond our greater Racine area borders. The restaurant was voted #6 in the whole United States by Penny Pollack, a Chicago food critic and co-author of "Everybody Loves Pizza." The restaurant was also just on "Discover Wisconsin," that ran on both PBS and Channel 24. You can access the segment by going online.
As of May 11, 2012, Wells Bros. is still the number one restaurant destination for Racine on TripAdvisor.com.
Wells Bros. offers a wide selection of pizza, sandwiches and pasta dishes. The secret of their success is their crust and their consistency. They make everything by hand from the dough to the sauce to the sausage and they even grind their cheese by hand on site. Every pizza is made to order and nothing is ever anything less than up-to-the-minute fresh.
Pizza toppings include seafood, olives, onions, pineapple, hamburger, peppers, ham, sausage, mushrooms and others. Various appetizers are available, such as chicken fingers, french fries, calamari, garlic bread and onion rings.
Not in the mood for pizza? Wells Bros. offers a full array of homemade soups that will make any day, burgers and the best year-round fish fry in the area. Even Paula's lobster bisque soup, which takes a lot of resources to make her perfect recipe, sells almost no matter what.
**Gluten-free items are available, including at least one daily soup. Paula is working on a gluten-free menu.
- Hours: Mon, closed; Tue - Sat, 11am - 9pm; Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: No
- Founding Date: 1921
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: The best homemade pizza, soups, burgers and year-round fish fry in the area.
- Food & dining options: Gluten-free, Natural, Vegetarian
- General services: Eat-in, Phone orders, Take-out
- Menu link: wellsbrosracine.com/menu
- Specialties: Homemade thin crust, sauces, sausage and really, just the best pizza. Period.
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: No
- What makes this community special?: Despite some ups and downs throughout the years, Wells Bros. has remained a constant presence in the community, providing good times and great food to generations.
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches
- Signature dishes: Pizza!
- What dish is most representative of the restaurant?: Pizza!
- Price level: $$
- Reservations: Required
- Executive chef: Paula Wells Huck & Bill Rivers
- Number of tables: 19
- Features: Dinner, Group-friendly, Kids' Menu, Lunch
- Atmosphere: Fun
- Dress code: Casual