Driving High Not Highlight of Man's Day, Police Say

A Milwaukee man was pulled over for having suspended plates but ended up in jail for allegedly driving while smoking pot.

Driving with expired plates will get you pulled over, but allegedly smoking marijuana while behind the wheel will put you behind bars.

Michael Thompson, 36, of Milwaukee, was charged Tuesday in Racine County Circuit Court with a single felony count of possession of THC, second offense. If convicted, he faces up to 3-1/2 years in jail and/or up to $10,000 in fines. The judge in his case could also suspend his driver's license for up to five years.

According to the criminal complaint, Racine County Sheriff's deputies pulled Thompson over in Sturtevant at Renaissance Blvd and Washington Avenue Tuesday for having expired plates. 

Reports indicate that when the deputy approached the driver's side to speak to Thompson, the deputy noticed a strong odor of marijuana. The defendant was asked to step out of the car so the deputy could perform a search of the vehicle.

A marijuana cigarette approximately 1-1/2 inches long was found in the ashtray, according to the complaint. The deputy also located flakes and buds on a glove on the floor of the car.

Thompson was taken into custody for possession. His registration was suspended because of numerous unpaid parking tickets in Milwaukee County.

The defendant remains in the Racine County Jail on a $250 cash bond and an additional $1,000 signature bond. Thompson has a preliminary hearing on Feb. 20 before Court Commissioner Alice A. Rudebusch.

C. Sanders February 06, 2013 at 10:44 PM
This "dope" should move to a "pot-legal" state.
jukap29 February 08, 2013 at 05:38 PM
driving while smoking is ILLEGAL everywhere


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »